Monday, June 22, 2009

Fun times with the nephews

I had a great time with my nephews this weekend. We went a lot of places and just had a good old time. I got a taste, all be it a small one, but a taste none the less of what it feels like to be a mom. First of all it is EXHAUSTING. I was so tired out Sunday night I think I was in bed and asleep by 8:00, and if you know me at all you know I am a night owl. I am usually up to 1:00am on weeknights and who knows what time on weekends. But we did a lot of stuff. We kept them busy. We went to MIL's and took them swimming. I stayed out of the water but DH got in the freezing water and the kids and him had a blast. I watched and admired how easily it comes to DH to just be a kid and a "dad" at the same time. Kids just gravitate to him and he has so much fun. It is a shame he is not a dad yet.

We then took them to the pet store. Jo.ey loved the mice and No.ah loved the bunny rabbits. Just watching them run from place to place was so cute. Then we went to Mc.Dona1ds so they could play in the playscape. I was worried about No.ah because this thing is huge and I did not think he would be able to get up and around through the tunnels. I was picturing my fat butt trying to climb through these tunnels to rescue him and then me getting stuck and they have to call someone to come take thing apart. Not a pretty picture...LOL. Anyway I told Jo.ey to go and help him and then out pops No.ah from the slide. He was just fine and he ran around to do it again. They played so long in there that they were asking to go home. We went home and watched the movie Wa11.E. Jo.ey thought this was the most funny movie in the world! I was not crazy about it but I just watched him laughing so hard at it that it made me laugh. I just love to hear a kid laugh!

Sunday we took them to a graduation party which was in a park and they had a HUGE playscape. The kids had a ball. BIL did not even recognize us because we came with 2 kids. All day long Jo.ey just kept looking at me and saying, "I Love You Aunt Shell" and then he would give me a hug. Awww that just melts my heart. At the party I was thinking about how they both are at such a great age. You can talk to them and especially Jo.ey you can have a whole conversation with him. He has got the best memory. No.ah just says things so cute! Since there were a lot of teenagers there I was trying to imagine what these 2 will be like as teenagers and I just can not picture it. It seems so far away yet I know it will fly by fast!Anyway, we tired them out there and then took them home and they went straight in for a nap. Then mommy and daddy came home.

So it was a pretty good weekend. They were so good! I think next we are going to take them one at a time over night sometime this summer. We will let them choose what they want to do and have kind of like a Aunt and Uncle date night. Then the one who stays home can spend time with mom and dad. I think that will be lots of fun.

I had a good time this weekend playing "mommy". I hope someday soon I will be the real thing!

6 comments:

just me, dawn said...

doesn't that just stop your heart? when they say i love you? my niece says it to me and i think everything stops for a second.

Kahla said...

What an awesome aunt and uncle the two of you are, those are some lucky little guys.

Sounds like a fun (and exhausting) weekend!

Anonymous said...

I love spending time with my two nephews, but you guys have put us to shame! Ya'll are the most awesome aunt and uncle ever! We've found that the harder we work to wear out the boys, the more we end up worn out ourselves! :)

Melis.sa said...

i'm glad you had such a lovely weekend! your nephews sound so sweet, especially the i love you :)

AnotherDreamer said...

What a busy weekend, and what an awesome Aunt and Uncle you two are.

I hear you about kids gravitating towards you husband. My nephews and nieces do that too, and every time it hits me about what a great father he would be...

I hope you two get to be parents someday soon.

Sunny said...

awww... that sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you were able to find things to do with them. It is definitely exhausting being with the little ones all day. Sometimes I feel bad that I've accomplished nothing all day and I still want to go to bed early, I have to remind myself how tough it is to keep up with a toddler.