Saturday, October 31, 2009

And The Hits Keep On Comin'

It is insurance enrollment time and DH job. So today we got notice...I figured it was going to be another notice saying the hiked insurance an astronomical amount as per usual. It was not that...

They dumped all of the choices and are only giving us one choice. Which is not a choice...I guess they are giving us one forced option. The problem is it does NOT cover infertility. Oh wait it says it will cover diagnosis and treatment of the underlying cause as long as none of it has to do with birth or the birth process...which is the whole point of infertility treatment. It means they will NOT cover ultrasounds, unless my doctor can convince them I need ultrasounds every three days to look at my polycystic overies...do you thing that could work? Probably not.

Also, after much research I found the RX company will not cover fertility drugs. Oh but wait they do offer a discount on them. If you can call it that. So I am SCREWED!!!

So looking at the positive side...I am at the end of what my insurance company I currently have would cover anyway so I pretty much would have been paying out of pocket anyways. The problem is I wanted to try one more treatment using injectibles with the added progesterone support and stuff. Now if I want to do that I need to do it NOW. I need to come up with the 300.00 I owe them so I can get in within the next 2 weeks so I can beat my next cycle. I do not have 300.00 laying around. I lost my job. I am struggling to get by as it is but I HAVE to figure out how to do this.

It also screws up what I wanted to do first. I want to go and have a laparoscopy to make sure everything looks good before I go and waste anymore money. Now I have to skip that for now. I figure the new insurance co. will cover that since it will fall under the "diagnosis and treatment" of the underlying cause. So what I have to do is get into Dr. Positive. I have not even spoken to him since the last miscarriage/ectopic. Last I talked to him we did not even know the pregnancy was ectopic at the time. I MUST get into at least talk to him and see what the options are. Maybe he can make it all better and tell me knows a way to make this work...PLEASE OH PLEASE let that be the case. I need Dr. Positive to be who is POSITIVE! I NEED my ovaries to cooperate and not have any cysts. As I am typing this I realize now that I do not even know if I have time...if I remember correctly I should be on BC now...CRAP...SHIT!!! Deep breath...I still need to get into see him and see what we can do...maybe we can at least order a bunch of drugs now while they are covered. It would have been nice if DH's employer would have told them a while ago that this was going to happen. At least then I could have been putting 20 a week a away or something. UGH!!!

I am feeling very paniced and frustrated. I just do not understand why?  I would be a good mom. Why can't I be that? I feel like I am standing over the toilet and watching all my dreams swirling the bowl...they are almost gone. Don't even get me started on the stupid ass bill that the state of Michigan thought they would try to pass to make infertility harder, more expensive, and throw in a little invasion of privacy. They want there to be mandatory reporting of who and when a person has a miscarriage. And that would be the states business because...?

I think I need to investigate the states that require that infertility treatments be paid for...maybe I can move there for a while.

Hope everyone has a Happy Halloween! I am excited about going trick or treating with the nephews. DH is going as Jason and I am going as his victim. Hopefully I will get some cute pictures to post.

9 comments:

Mo said...

Ugh. What a bummer. I hate insurance. We're pretty much out of pocket at this point too and it sucks.

Mo

'Murgdan' said...

As if you needed even one more complication. The money part is so frustrating...ugh.

Melis.sa said...

I'm so sorry hun, that sucks. big time.

and wtf about mich.igan wanting to know when people have m/c's??

I'm praying that you will find an awesome job that has better IF coverage. My DH has his insurance stuff sitting up on the shelf but i haven't glanced at it yet. I keep hoping to move...

Anyway, Happy Halloween!! I hope you have a great night

battynurse said...

I'm so sorry sweetie. I know how frustrating the whole money part of infertility is. It makes a bad thing even worse. I hope you are able to figure something out.
What the hell about the state of Michigan wanting miscarriage to be reportable? What is their goal?

Anonymous said...

This is so frustrating to hear. I hate the fact that fertility treatments are not covered. Sorry for the bad news.

Sunny said...

I'm so sorry for this bad news! Infertility coverage is so rare, there are many of us who feel your pain.

For what it's worth, my insurance plan sounds the exact same as yours, and my doc in St. Louis was able to get my u/s and b/w covered during a treatment cycle with whatever creative billing they could do. However, my doc here in Seattle was not. But maybe there is hope!

Jamie said...

Oh, sweetie. Insurance companies blow. You ~will~ be a great mom. I hope that stupid insurance company doesn't stand in your way.

Bluebird said...

Sucks :( We've never had fertility coverage, but still ended up fighting with my carrier over the diagnostic stuff. It's miserable.

Ashley said...

I'm so sorry!! I have never had insurance coverage for this stuff. Our grand total through treatments was $23,000.00.

Definitely not fair! I hope you get a plan in place soon.